The New Story Fund distributes $50,000 annually in the form of awards to families in Pennsylvania. Families can be nominated for an individual award of up to $1,500 each year. The nomination period is open from January 1 through January 31 every year.
At New Story, we understand that a family with a child who has special needs incurs many additional costs in providing for their child. That’s why in 2009, New Story established the New Story Fund to provide families with an alternative funding source for needed products and services. In the past, the New Story Fund helped families purchase products and services such as durable medical equipment, therapy services, prescriptions, after-school care, home/safety modifications, camp tuition, and many others.
The New Story Fund is designed to help children and families who are faced with the following challenges: autism spectrum disorder (ASD), serious emotional disturbances, mental retardation or other developmental disabilities.
“The New Story Fund helps families gain additional resources they need to help their children live good lives,” said Paul Volosov, Ph.D., founder and president of New Story. “We understand the financial burden that comes with supporting children with varying diagnosis and the challenges related to it. Our hope is for the New Story Fund to help alleviate some of the financial burden and provide assistance to these children and their families in order for them to write new stories of growth and success.”
Members of the community are encouraged to submit an application for themselves, or to nominate an individual or family in need during the yearly nomination period (January 1 through January 31) Nominees must meet the following criteria to be eligible for the New Story Fund:
- legal resident of Pennsylvania;
- younger than 21 years old; and,
- diagnosed with one (or more) or the following: Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), serious emotional disturbances, mental retardation or other developmental disability.
When applying for the New Story Fund, please note the following:
- The application must be completed in its entirety, including why the nominee needs help from New Story and specifically what will be purchased with the funds.
- If the cost of the product/service being requested exceeds the amount granted from the Fund, the nominator will be required to provide documentation to cover the remaining cost of the product/service.
- Nominators or nominees do not need to be enrolled in New Story schools or New Story services. New Story employees may nominate individuals receiving services from New Story.
- Nominee’s immediate family may not be employees or affiliates of New Story.
- Each nominee can be nominated for an award up to $1,500.
Awards are announced by April 1 each year.